Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Mother

Where to begin to describe my Mother?  I have no clue, so I will jump right in with what first comes to mind. Strong, unshakable, loving, quiet and steady.  I have always known my Mom, Joan,  to be a strong woman. From way back, when I was little, I thought she was the most beautiful woman with her blond up-do or bun, or braid that wrapped around her bun. When she put on her nurses uniform, she was so lovely in all her white. I loved when she would take me to her bowling team on Tuesdays, when I had a half-day of school, and even grocery shopping with her every Friday.
 She was so busy, with all of her kids, but even when she was not working or cleaning, her hands where always doing something. Knitting, crocheting or sewing dresses.  I did spend a lot of time with my Dad because my Mom worked at the Hospital from 3 til midnight. Her work ethic was and is,  impeccable. I remember when she would get a lift to work, on a neighbor's snow machine, to the Hospital because she was needed, during the Blizzard of '78.
My Mom is  not overly expressive in her love like my Dad was,  but her love has always been a constant certainty, although she is getting a bit mushier( Is that a word?). Regardless, she has always been a comfort to be around, as I have said before, being with her is like sitting by a warm fire.
 I have very fond memories of her letting me help her make pies during the holidays, and letting me be creative in the kitchen sometimes, making butterscotch or other goodies.  I remember one strange raisin pie I made for a neighbor.  As for me being a little kid, I was a real pip. Sort of spoiled, well, make that plain old spoiled.  I didn't like to clean up and was just this side of naughty. But, seriously, who can stay mad at a little girl with curly hair called JoJo?
 Growing up , she taught me, or attempted to teach me how to sew, crochet and knit. I am left-handed so my projects were not very fruitful. But, she would try again, with craft projects, making Christmas ornaments, or bunny hats for the new babies being born at the Hospital Nursery .
 As a teenager,  I was brainless, and unnappreciative. Not realizing how hard she was working, I would go to bed and leave the dirty dishes in the sink. I regret to this day the sound of her coming home at midnight cleaning up.
I never really remember my Mom being overly emotional or teary-eyed. I suppose that's because her maiden name was Schultz, therefore being German somehow. I only remember standing on a footstool, and having her hugging me and crying when she came home from a vacation with Dad, when my brother David, died in a car accident. I remember her holding on to me and me asking her why she was crying. Other than that, she was always level headed, until her menopause hit , then, watch out. But thats a different story.
 Since I have been diagnosed with cancer, I can see in my mother her softer side. particularly when she was caring for my Dad as he was ill and eventually passed away. I was amazed by her strength and energy and her capacity to handle tough times with Dad, yet still take care of everything, with a house full of grown children, up in Maine.  She amazed me and still does.
She has been caring for me for so long, and her touch and hugs are so warm and comforting.
From encouraging me through the delivery of my two boys, and flying out to NV to help me when Sarah was born, to listening to me cry about my illness and trying to keep me calm.
Since this last diagnosis she has been with me every chance she gets, and I see and even more caring facet of her.   The look in her eyes,  as she helps me deal with bad news and good news, is so beautiful and unexpressible of a Mothers Love.
 I mean the woman is 83, give her some props! My Mom has the most beautiful blue eyes, and today as she greeted me this morning and those eyes where so clear and lovely and she looked ageless. I am so thankful to the Lord for allowing me to spend this time together, even though it is tough on us and bittersweet.
 I love to hug her and share thoughts with her. Our relationship is still very much one of Mother and Daughter, but changing as we face challenges together. There's no way to ever express my thankfulness, love or appreciation to her. She is so remarkable. As my sister, Dawne and I say,"We have the best Mom". There's so may things I could thank her for. Sitting quietly on a hard chair waiting for me to recover from heart cath, while her knitting needles click-clacked.
 I am rambling, but I had such a lovely day with her,today, and the look in her face now when she says good-bye and I love you, makes me so happy.
 I am so thankful to the Lord for her, and can only pray to be as caring, giving and strong as she has been. Thanks for letting me gush a bit. She deserves so much more. Perhaps a poem, but I am super awful at poetry. I just wanted to attempt to express my love a gratitude for such a wonderful Mom.
 I love you, Mom, forever and always.
JoJo

6 comments:

  1. Dear JoJo and Family,
    Thank you for putting into words the love I have for you and Mom. I'm crying.
    Love,
    Rance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwe you guys, make me weep. Love ya, Dawne

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...as Dad would say, "don't be maudlin"! Dawne

    ReplyDelete
  4. And knowing your Mom for some 40+ years, you have done her justice in your writing. She certainly is an amazing lady and mother!!!!

    Jan Wooldridge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom is amazing & beautiful and her love for you is obvious!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so beautifully written Joann. Your mom is amazing. Learned that when Betty and I went to moffitt with you. Amazing mom's have amazing daughters.
    Love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete